Tuesday, August 14, 2007

by the way, Gettysburg wasn't just an address: whole fields of rotting bodies subsided into soil and streams), not just mountain ranges coincide on desire, but hatred and microscopic ignorance lead to a KT extinction event as seismographically influential as Everest's second cousin collapsing into the Marineras Trench - topographical opposites that would seem to never meet if it wasn't for us, we humans who hold bullets between teeth both to celebrate and pray, as well as prepare for war (but I don't trust these big phrases, the grand claims that sweep history like Himalayan gestures of continental drift, get it? I don't have a sex, I have a Continental Divide; I don't get erections, I have an Altiplano of emptiness, somewhat high, somewhat plain, but no sheep graze my slopes, no llamas cavort in my caverns - I don't know, maybe Peru doesn't have llamas, do you know?). Meanwhile, Switzerland sits on the Alps, a neutral territory of not this, not that; not man, not woman - who can catalogue, how can we describe the quake of sudden shifts / the territorial battles of belonging and becoming, the Union's confluence on the Rebels - when the lists drift: me Kilaminjaro in my simplicity, you Sierran in your international relevance; me Fuji in my isolation, you the Great Barrier Reef in your mingling of land and water, life and death, coral and stone, life and death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home